Thursday, February 2, 2012

Turtles out sunning on February 1st

OK   So it's Feb 1st 2012 and  it is 65 degrees. We've had a pretty mild winter so far but when I took my lunch time constitutional around the local pond I was quite surprised to see painted turtles sunning themselves. Turtles on February 1st? We are supposed to be in a deep freeze with frozen ponds.Forget Puxatony Phil, every year I await the first turtles coming out of their burrows, it's a sure sign that spring is near, it lifts my spirits. I have learned to trust nature, turtles usually get it right. I will be surprised if we enter into a deep freeze for the rest of this winter. As for the larger implications of Global Climate Disruption, I'll let you decide for your self, last years 6 feet of snow in the Northeast was certainly historic itself.

No comments: